Tracing the roots of the piano to the very beginning of consciousness, when man first became aware of sound.
Adolf Bernhard Marx (1795 – 1866): German Music Theorist, Critic, Pedagogue
- Considered “one of the most influential theorist[s] of the 19th century, Marx named and codified sonata form.” [ 2 ]
- Editor of Berliner Allgemeine Musikalische Zeitung.
- Professor musicology at the University of Berlin and then later director of music.
- Among his many writings, his most famous was Die Lehre von der Musikalischen Komposition (1837/1838, 1845 and 1847).
- Co-founded what is now known as Stern Conservatory with Theodor Kullak and Julius Stern.
[ CLOSE ]
Music Division, The New York Public Library. "Lithograph of A. B. Marx, 19th C." The New York Public Library Digital Collections. The New York Public Library, n.d. Web. 16 Oct. 2015. Public Domain.
Pederson, Sanna. "Marx, (Friedrich Heinrich) Adolf Bernhard [Samuel Moses]." Oxford Music Online. Oxford University Press, 2007 – 2015. Web. 16 Sept. 2015.