Tracing the roots of the piano to the very beginning of consciousness, when man first became aware of sound.
Abbey Henry Simon (b. 1920): American Concert Pianist and Teacher
- Taught by Josef Hofman at The Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia.
- 1940 won the Naumberg International Piano Competition.
- Performed in Carnegie Hall and toured throughout Europe and South America.
- Has been called a 'a pianist's pianist,' and super-virtuoso.
- Additional awards: Federation of Music Clubs, National Orchestral Association, Ford Foundation, Harriet Cohen Medal, and Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge.
- Jurist: Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, Geneva International Music Competition, Leeds International Piano Competition, Clara Haskil International Piano Competition, Sydney International Piano Competition, and South Africa International Piano Competition.
- Taught at Juiliard, Indiana University, and University of Houston; he holds a Cullen Distinguished Professorship at the University of Houston’s Moores School of Music.
- 1984 Founded the International Piano Festival at the University of Houston.
- He is a featured Yamaha Artist.
[ CLOSE ]
Tim Duquette. "A Conversation With Abbey Simon." Online Video Clip. YouTube. YouTube, 6 March 2009. Web. 9 Aug. 2019. Standard YouTube License.
- Psales, Chris. "Piano’s Old Pro Drops By for a Visit." Los Angeles Times. 23 Oct. 2001. Los Angeles Times, 2019. Web. 9 Aug. 2019.
- Schonberg, Harold C. "Abbey Simon: Evolution of 'a Pianist’s Pianist.'" The New York Times. 26 Feb. 1988. The New York Times Company, 2019. Web. 9 Aug. 2019.
- Emery Mike. "Chat with Piano Legend Abbey Simon." Houston Chronicle. 31 Jan. 2014. Hearst Newspapers, LLC., 2019. Web. 9 Aug. 2019.
- Duffie Bruce. "Pianist Abbey Simon: A Conversation with Bruce Duffie." BruceDuffie.Com 19 Feb. 1988. Web. 9 Aug. 2019.
- Opera Musica. "Abbey Simon" OperaMusica.Com n.d. Mathieu Abelli 2019. Web. 9 Aug. 2019.
- Faculty. "Abbey Simon." UH.EDU. University of Houston, 2019. Web. 9 Aug. 2019.