Tracing the roots of the piano to the very beginning of consciousness, when man first became aware of sound.
Artur Schnabel (1882 – 1951): Austrian Pianist, Composer, Teacher – Late Romantic / Early 20th Century Period
- Initially studied under Hans Schmitt of Vienna Conservatory (now University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna).
- Studied under Theodor Leschetizky who told him “You will never be a pianist; you are a musician.” “Schnabel’s recording of the complete Beethoven piano sonatas, the first to be made, is still the benchmark by which all others are compared, and for many it remains the first choice.” [ 2 ]
- Professor at Hochschule für Musik in Berlin.
- His writings include Reflections on Music (1933), Music and the Line of Most Resistance (1942), and My Life and Music (1961).
[ CLOSE ]
"Artur Schnabel." Naxos. Naxos Digital Services Ltd., n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.
- "Artur Schnabel (1882-1951)." Schnabel Music Foundation. Schnabel Music Foundation, n.d. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.