Tracing the roots of the piano to the very beginning of consciousness, when man first became aware of sound.
Tobias Matthay (1858 – 1945): English Teacher, Author, Pianist, Composer
- Studied at the Royal Academy of Music with Sir William Sterndale Bennett and Sir Arthur Sullivan.
- Founded the Tobias Matthay Pianoforte School.
- Some of his pupils: Dame Myra Hess, Irene Scharrer, Clifford Curzon.
- His first book The Act of Touch in All its Diversity: An analysis and Synthesis of Pianoforte Tone Production (1903) influenced piano pedagogy.
[ CLOSE ]
Spudgun67. "Tobias Matthay 1858-1945 Teacher and Pianist Lived Here." Photograph. Flickr. Flickr, a Yahoo Company, 27 Dec. 2014. Web. 27 Oct. 2015. CC BY 2.0.
- Siek, Stephen. "Tobias Matthay (1858-1945)." Piano Sage. Piano Sage, 2011. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.