Tracing the roots of the piano to the very beginning of consciousness, when man first became aware of sound.
Pete Johnson (1904 – 1967): American Boogie-Woogie Pianist
Count Basie (1904 – 1984): American Jazz Pianist, Bandleader – 20th Century Period (Big Band/Swing Jazz)
Fats Waller (1904 – 1943): American Composer, Jazz Pianist, Organist, Singer, Bandleader – 20th century Period (Harlem Stride Jazz)
Dmitry Kabalevsky (1904 – 1987): Russian Composer, Teacher – 20th Century Period
1905, Frances Clark
Frances Clark (1905 – 1998): American Piano Pedagogue
- AB degree from Kalamazoo College with graduate studies in music from University of Michigan, The Juilliard School, the Paris Conservatory, and the American Academy at Fontainebleau.
- Trained under Nadia Bulanger and Isidor Philipp in Paris, and Ernest Hutcheson and Guy Maier from Julliard.
- Started the first four-year piano pedagogy degree program in the United States at Kalamazoo College (Louise Gross was a student of the first class).
- Along with Louise Goss, Clark was director of piano and piano pedagogy program at Westminster Choir College in New Jersey.
- Co-founded (along with Louise Goss) The New School for Music Study in Princeton.
- Pioneer of group piano teaching. Wrote Questions and Answers (1992) describing her philosophical approaches to group piano lessons.
- The mission statement of The Frances Clark Center for Keyboard Pedagogy reads in part “to extend the influence of her [Francis Clark] inclusive and revolutionary philosophy of music education at the keyboard.” [ 2 ]
- Kreader, Barbara. "In Memorium Frances Clark 1905 – 1998." Clavier Companion. The Piano Magazine Clavier Companion, Winter 1998. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.
- Baker-Jordan, Martha, Dr. Practical Piano Pedagogy: The Definitive Text for Piano Teachers and Pedagogy Students. Warner Bros. Publications, 2003, 2004. Google Books. Web. 17 Sept. 2015.
Roosevelt Sykes (1906 – 1983): American Blues Pianist, Singer
Little Brother Montgomery (1906 – 1985): American Blues Pianist, Singer, Bandleader
Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 – 1975): Russian Composer, Pianist – 20th Century Period
Art Tatum, Jr. (1909 – 1956): American Jazz Pianist (Stride, Swing, Boogie-Woogie Jazz)
1910, S Stravinsky
Soulima Stravinsky (1910 – 1994): Swiss Composer, Classical Pianist (Son of Igor Stravinsky) – 20th Century period